Ever since we have started using computers, we have seen that whenever we download anything on a Windows PC, it automatically makes a shortcut of that app or program which is displayed on the desktop. This helps us to make things quick for us by saving a lot of our time. However, it has been seen that mac users are somehow deprived of this amazing thing. There are a lot of mac users out there who wish to have this feature on their PC but are unable to do so. This is why we are here! Here in this article, we are going to tell you guys that how you can create shortcuts in macOS.
Even though people have been using different apps to do this but all those people who do not want to install a third party app to do this, they can do this by two different methods. In both the methods, you will be able to do this by making alias, here is how you can do this –
Method 1: By Creating Alias
This method could also be called as a right-click method as through this only, you will be creating alias that you will be able to move anywhere. Here are the steps to do that –
- Here first of all you will have to find the file or folder for which you wish to create the Alias. Once you’ve selected, you will have to right-click on it and from the menu that appears, choose “make alias”. You can do this directly or you can also find this option in the Finder’s File menu.
- Now you will see that by clicking on make alias, a shortcut has been created at that same location, where the file or folder is. In the shortcut, the filename has been highlighted automatically which helps the users to easily identify the shortcut file.
- It’s all done now! You will be able to drag and drop this shortcut file anywhere just like you do with any normal file. You will be able to drag it to the desktop as well.
Doing this for applications is more easy than doing for files/folders. Here is how you can do this for applications –
- Here you first select the app for which you wish to create the alias.
- Once you’ve selected the app, you can simply drag it out from the applications folder and this way it will automatically create an alias at the location where it has been dropped.
In order to see the original folder or application, you can simply right click on it and from the menu, you can select “show original”. It will show you the original of the shortcut.
Method 2- Make shortcuts with the help of Finder
This method is to make shortcuts with the help of Finder. Here are the steps –
- Here you will have to first open the finder and from there select “preferences”.
- In the preferences you will see different tabs on the top of it from where you have to select “sidebar tab”.
- In the sidebar tab, you will a huge list that can also be customised and this way you will be able to access the shortcuts of various apps, files and folders easily and quickly.
These were the two different methods to access shortcuts in macOS, you can try any one of them.