A screen recording is a way to capture what’s happening on your device screen. Screen recording in Windows can be done by using the built-in application or by using third-party software. Windows built-in tools come with certain restrictions which limits their usage only for specific purposes only. Here is your guide to record the screen.
Steps To Screen Record on Windows 11
Method 1: Using MS PowerPoint Application
Using MS PowerPoint is the easiest way to record a screen on windows. If you have installed the MS Office Suite or PowerPoint in your system, then you can record your screen by using it. Here are the steps to record the screen on Windows 11.
- Open the PowerPoint.
- Open a new file.
- Click on the ‘Insert’ tab on the top and then select the ‘Screen Recording’ button. Then screen will become dim and a toolbar will appear.
- Now select the area, you want to record and click on the red button to start the recording.
- To end the recording, click ‘Stop’ or ‘Windows key + shift + Q’.
- Save your recording by right-clicking on the PowerPoint slide with the recording and from the ‘Context Menu’, select ‘Save Media’ from the list.
- Select the destination where you wish to save the recorded file and click on ‘Ok’.
Method 2: Using Xbox Game Bar Application
Windows 11 has an inbuilt game bar application that helps in recording the screen in fast and simple way. But it does not allow you to record the whole screen rather it records certain application screens and does not give the user control over the region which is being recorded.
The Windows 11 game bar was designed to record scenes of your game and how you play it. Here are the steps to record the screen using the game bar application on Windows 11 PC.
- Open the application that you want to record.
- Press the Windows key + G on your keyboard and this will open the game bar application.
- Click on the ‘Capture’ option on the game bar from the top menu.
- You can press the ‘Mic’ button on the capture pane on the left side of the screen, if you are willing to include any verbal clue or narration.
- Now, click on the ‘Start Recording’ button on the capture pane and record the application.
- As soon as recording starts, then the capture pane and Xbox bar will be minimized and on the right side you can see the capture status.
- If you want to toggle the recording, you can press ‘Windows key + ALT + R’.
- After the screen has been recorded, you will find a banner on the right side of the screen which you can click to see the list of all your recordings.
- Click on the ‘Show All Captures’ button in the toolbar section of the Gallery view of the application and then you can click the ‘Play Button’ on the screen.
- You can also rename the video just recorded by clicking on the ‘Edit’ icon in the right below section and this will save the video with the new name.
The biggest pitfall of using Windows 11’s built-in application to record the screen is that it can only work with one application at a time and will not be able to record multiple Windows, Desktop or File Explorer. To capture your entire desktop and all the windows, the need for a third-party application for efficient and easy screen recording may arise.