You may want to reset your PC for various reasons like to improve the overall performance of the computer, for a fresh start, to clean junk files or you are willing to sell it. Windows operating system has three ways to factory reset your PC. Windows 11 gives you the choice to keep your data as well as wipe it off. To avoid any data loss, make sure you back up all your important files before performing a factory reset. Here is your guide on how to factory reset your Windows 11 PC.
Steps to Factory Reset Windows 11 PC
Method 1: Using Settings
Below are the steps that you need to perform to factory reset your PC using the ‘Settings’ option.
- Click on ‘Start’ menu from taskbar and then select ‘Settings’. You can also use shortcut ‘Window key + I’ to open settings.
- Click on ‘System’ tab.
- Now select ‘Recovery’.Under recovery options, click on ‘Reset PC’.
After clicking on ‘Reset PC’, a window will pop up with two options –
- Keep my files– If you want to retain your personal files intact while all the system apps get uninstalled and system settings are rolled back to a fresh state you can use this option.
- Remove Everything– Selecting this option will remove all photos, programs, and apps. And operating system will enter into a completely fresh state as if it was brand new.
You can choose among the option that best suits you.
- Now, Windows will provide you with two more options –
- Cloud Download
- Local reinstall
Go with ‘Cloud Download’ if the Windows 11 setup file is not available to you. Cloud download requires an internet connection through which Windows will use at least 4GB of data.
If you have Windows 11 setup file then you can select ‘Local reinstall’. When you choose local reinstall, you need to have your Windows 11 Bootable drive ready.
- Now, you will see additional settings on your screen. If you wish to change any setting, then you can select the ‘Change Settings’ else click on ‘Next’.
- Next, Windows will list down all the impacts of resetting to your PC.
- Now, click on the ‘Reset’ button to start the resetting process on your PC.
- Yor are now required to simply fill in the details, adjust a few settings, manage your privacy settings, and then you are good to go.
Method 2: Using Command Prompt
Alternatively, you can also use the command prompt as another method to reset Windows 11 without opening the ‘Settings’.
- Open the ‘Start’ menu.
- Type ‘cmd’ in the search box.
- Right-click on the Command prompt.
- Now select ‘Run as Administrator’ option.
- Type ‘Systemreset -factoryreset’ to factory reset your PC.
- After typing this, the reset option screen will pop up where you can select how you wish to install and whether you would want to keep the data or not. You may then choose the option that suits you.
Method 3: Using Advanced Startup
Here is your series of steps to factory reset via ‘Advanced Startup’ –
- Select the ‘Search’ icon from taskbar.
- Now type ‘Advanced startup’ and press ‘Enter’.
- Select ‘Restart now’.
- Now, on the ‘Advanced Startup Screen’, select ‘Troubleshoot’.
- Click on ‘Reset This PC’.
- Now you can follow same steps from Method 1, step 4 onwards.
That’s all! This is how easily you can reset your Windows 11 PC.